CFBP Representing at CenterPoint CrossFit’s Competition!
Congrats to everyone that participated in the Sibling Separation Crossfit Challenge hosted by Centerpoint Crossfit this past Saturday, January 11th. A special congratulations goes out to the Lady Bullets (Christina Garcia, Amanda Corbitt, Kira Mueller, and Liz Simmons) for taking home 2nd place! Pictures will be posted soon by Saeid Moezzi, our in-house photographer. Be sure to add him on FB if you want to be tagged in future photos!
Roll Out with our Foam Rollers!
Foam rollers are now on sale for $25 at the box! Be sure to get one now, and work on those sore muscles and mobility stretches. Need more instruction on how to use that roller? Come out to the box on Saturday, January 18th at 10:15am to learn more foam roller techniques taught by Dr. Edeker from Arrosti. He will be on-site to explain and demonstrate general foam rolling/mobility and its importance to staying injury free. This will be a great opportunity to learn the correct techniques of properly treating those sore muscles!
Don’t Be Afraid to Ask for Clarification!
It’s your time, money, and most importantly, health. If you don’t fully understand something, ask. If you still don’t get it, ask again. Don’t be afraid to ask for clarification if you don’t fully grasp the concept, or you think others in the class will get frustrated with you for taking up too much time. Our coaches are here for you, to guide you and to make sure you are comfortable with your movements. Learning the mechanics of certain movements like the power clean, squat, deadlift, or any of the Olympic lifts takes lots of practice and critique from a trained eye. If you need help, just ask.
Nutrition is Key
“What you eat is more important than what you lift”. It was said by Jack Lalanne, that “You put junk in, junk comes out. You put good in, good comes out.” The quality of your food will affect the quality of your performance. Nutrition is key to every aspect of your life, and we need to remember that it affects our energy levels, our recovery, and our overall performance in not just working out, but living life. We will post a recipe every week to help with overall nutrition but if you need more, don’t hesitate to ask!
Chicken Avocado Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp Sriracha, or to taste
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 avocado, diced
- 4 scallions
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Salt and black pepper
- Pour broth into big, heavy saucepan and place over medium-high heat. Stir in Sriracha.
- While broth heats, dice chicken into bite-size pieces; ditto the avocado. Slice scallions, separating white and crisp green parts.
- When broth is simmering, stir in chicken and white part of scallions. (Don’t just drop the diced chicken in without stirring! It’ll congeal into a lump in the bottom of the pot. Stir it in.) Crush in garlic. Bring back to a simmer, turn burner to low, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper the soup to taste. Ladle into bowls. Now divide avocado and sliced green scallion shoots among bowls, and serve.