Squat Clean Series
As you all know we are putting our focus each month back into one particular movement. This month is the well-known squat clean. There are many do’s and don’ts to every lift, but we want to focus on the ones for this particular movement for the month of May. We all maxed out on Monday the 4th of May so if you haven’t done so now would be the time to get that number, because you will need it for the remainder of our squat clean series.
Steps to a proper Squat Clean:
- Step 1: Place a loaded barbell on the ground and stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Step 2: Lower your hips and butt down and place your hands on the bar so that they are just outside your shins.
- Step 3: Stick your chest out, keep a natural arch in your lower back and keep your gaze looking straight forward. This is the starting position.
- Step 4: Begin exercise by coming up out of the squat position, allowing the bar to rub along your shins.
- Step 5: As the bar begins to pass your knees, simultaneously begin to thrust your hips forward.
- Step 6: As the bar reaches the top of your thighs, clean the bar up to your shoulders as you drop down into a deep squat.
- Step 7: Complete the squat clean by coming up out of the squat and stand tall. Drop the barbell on the ground. This completes one rep.
- Tip 1: Like in any lift, keep your core tight throughout the exercise.
- Tip 2: Slow your Deadlift down, many times than not that process is done quickly throwing the whole movement off
- Tip 3: Be sure to squat all the way down. This the difference between a power clean and a squat clean
- Middle/lower back